In the competitive world of architectural design, how do you stay ahead of new styles and emerging trends? You ask an expert.
This year, Beijing, Milan and New York were just a few of the cities he explored for design solution inspiration.
What can you expect to see in 2017? Byron shares his round-up of the best to come.
The design vision for 2017
Exploration will be a reoccurring theme in this year’s design trends, Byron explains.
“During the recession a few years back, interiors that had to be remodeled went very sterile and clean to avoid looking like too much money was being spent,” he says. “Getting away from these ‘bare basics’ is a sign that we’re over that moment and moving into a more optimistic period of time.”
The top 5 design trends for 2017
According to Byron, this year’s design vision will take shape across five key looks:
- Raw / Untreated / Artisanal: Celebrate nature’s random imperfections. Incorporate wholesome materials like concrete, ceramic glazes and stone within your design for an organic feel.
- Matte + Gloss: Opposites attract. Honour this notion by combining contrasting surfaces in the same space.
- ‘Luxe’ Chic: This trend is all about adding drama. Comparable to a reinvented “supper club” yet with vibrant colours and exotic custom made patterns or onsite art installations.
- Metals, Metals, Metals!: Bronze, brass or copper bring a sense of sophistication and can be paired with complimentary earth tone materials like wood and natural fabrics.
- Uber Zen: Flood your space with one ethereal colour. Add accents that reflect the palate yet vary in texture or medium of the overall tone.
Need more information on architectural products from 3M? Fill out this form:
About the Author
[enBio=Across the globe, 3M helps companies and individuals succeed every day. All while contributing to true global sustainable development through environmental protection, corporate and social responsibility and economic progress. We are applying our science to make a real impact in every person's life around the world.],[enJob=Science. Applied to Life.],[frBio=Chaque jour, 3M aide les entreprises et les gens à réussir. Tout cela en contribuant au développement durable réel par le biais de la protection de l'environnement, la responsabilité sociale en entreprise et le progrès économique. Nous appliquons notre science afin de faire une différence réel dans la vie de chaque personne dans le monde.],[frJob=]Follow on Twitter More From 3M Canada