The Medical Device Reprocessing Department may be behind the scene in hospitals, but this central hub carries a critical responsibility to ensure that instrument sterilization is carried out correctly.
If a sterilization process failure goes undetected it can put patients, staff and the financial health of a facility at risk. Chemical Integrators, such as 3M™ Comply™ SteriGage™ are an essential tool that can help medical device reprocessing technicians feel assured that their sterilization cycle was properly completed.
3M™ Comply™ SteriGage™ Chemical Integrators help provide critical assurance
3M™ Comply™ SteriGage™ Chemical Integrators provide a simple visual indicator that assures technicians that each pack has been exposed to the right conditions to become sterilized.
When placed in packs, trays, containers and peel pouches, chemical integrators can immediately detect individual pack failures that are a result of equipment malfunction or human error in packing, loading or operation.
Not only are 3M™ Comply™ SteriGage™ Strips easier to read and interpret than colour-change strips, the high-grade material used in the strips’ construction has been carefully selected to resist and reduce linting.
Chemical Indicators highlighted by CSA Monitoring Requirements for Internal Chemical Indicators
If you work in a Sterile Reprocessing Department, you should know that the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) published a new standard for steam sterilization in 2014.
Many of the previous requirements were carried forward, and some new routine monitoring requirements for internal chemical indicators were added, including:
- A chemical indicator must be placed in every pack, pouch and container that is sterilized.
- Multi-level sets must have at least one chemical indicator on each level.
- If a load is not monitored with a biological indicator (e.g. a routine load in the afternoon with no implants), the internal chemical indicators in each pack must be Class 5 or Class 6.
Source: The Canadian Standards Association. CSA Z314.3-14 Effective sterilization in health care settings by the steam process. Published 2014.
The power of three: 3M™ SteriGage™ Chemical Integrators provide added sterilization assurance by monitoring three critical steam sterilization parameters:
- Steam penetration
3M™ Comply™ SteriGage™ Chemical Integrators provide precise results by integrating changes in all critical sterilization parameters before indicating an “ACCEPT” result
- “Accept” or “Reject” at a glance: Requires no colour change interpretation. Field tests show higher reading accuracy than colour-change indicators.
- For use in all 118-138°C (245-280°F ) steam sterilization cycles: Eliminates the potential error of selecting the incorrect Class 6 cycle-specific emulating indicator and reduces your chemical indicator inventory.
- Conforms to ISO 11140-1:2014
- Class 5 Integrating Indicators: Ensures the response of SteriGage Chemical Integrators correlates with a Biological Indicator (BI) at three time/temperature relationships.
- Helps prevent costly infections: Identifies non-sterile instruments before they enter the sterile field.
- Minimizes recalls and reprocessing: Helps identify sterilization process failures by isolating individual pack problems.
- Safe and compatible with all packs: Safe, non-toxic chemicals are sealed within the integrators to prevent contamination or transfer to sterile items.
Learn more about 3M Sterilization Products and/or get a catalogue
To learn more about 3M Sterilization Products or to receive a catalogue, please fill in the form below and a rep will contact you to confirm your information: