Whether you’re scoping an industrial plant shutdown maintenance project or you’re in thinking about day-to-day maintenance and repairs, its important that you have what you need on hand.
Product application engineers from 3M, like myself and my colleagues in the lab are often brought in to help ensure the plant shutdown schedule is met, your workers are safe, and your work is completed without any deficiencies.
Here is a top 10 checklist straight from the experts in the 3M lab that will help you on your next industrial plant shutdown maintenance project. What’s great about this list is that its also a reminder of the products that will help make your day go smoother on any project!
Checklist: 10 products you need for your industrial plant shutdown maintenance project:
- Need an abrasion-resistant tape that provides electrical and mechanical protection? Scotch® Professional Grade Heavy Duty Vinyl Electrical Tape Super 88’s combination of an aggressive rubber-resin adhesive and an elastic PVC backing offers excellent electrical and mechanical protection. It can also withstand temperatures ranging from -18 to 105 °C.
- Another premium electrical tape I recommend is Scotch® Super 33+™ Vinyl Electrical Tape. This premium grade, flame-retardant, all-weather vinyl-insulating tape can be used for cable splices up to 600 volts up to 105°C.
- It’s also important to have a reliable electrical tape on site to assist with colour coding. 3M™ Colourflex™ General Use Colour Coding Vinyl Electrical Tape comes in a variety of colours - blue, brown, green, grey, orange, red, white, yellow – for your different colour coding needs.
- With all the equipment and tools being used, shutdown maintenance projects can get loud. So how can you protect your hearing on site? The hygienic, push-to-fit, soft foam design of 3M™ No-Touch Foam Uncorded Plugs helps to create a noise-reducing seal. It has a noise reduction rating of 29 dB. CSA Class AL.
- You also need a durable anti-slip tape to help prevent slip and fall accidents. The 3M™ Safety-Walk™ Slip-Resistant General Purpose Tape, 600 series are great anti-slip tapes to apply to ramps, stairs, ladders and other areas that may be more prone to slip and fall incidents. These tapes are durable, and installation can be done by simply peeling off the tape backing and applying to the clean application surface.
- Need a disposable respirator with a N95 approved filtering facepiece? Choose 3M™ Aura™ Particulate Respirator, 9211+, N95. Or, maybe you’re looking for a reusable respirator? Choose 3M™ Quick Latch Rugged Comfort Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator, 6501QL. Don’t forget when choosing respirator protection that you have to choose the right one for the respiratory hazards you’re working in (i.e.: asbestos, silica, mould, or manganese/hexavalent chromium).
- How can you bond lightweight materials fast? 3M™ Super 77™ Multipurpose Spray Adhesive offers a fast, aggressive tack for a quick bond that helps reduce set time. It can bond lightweight materials like paper, cardboard, fabric, insulation, plastic, metal, wood, etc.
- For cleaning oil, grease, and grim, a tool box essential is the 3M™ Citrus Base Cleaner. It is a gentle, non-corrosive cleaner that helps to dissolve and remove dirt, grease, tar, and many not cured or wet adhesives.
- Eye protection is an essential item in your manufacturing plant shutdown checklist. It’s important that you pick eyewear that has excellent visibility and durability. The 3M™ SecureFit™ Protective Eyewear 400 Series with Clear Scotchgard™ Anti-Fog Lens helps to provide better fog and scratch resistance when compared to traditional anti-fog coating. Another great feature is the optional foam gasket for enhanced protection from debris
- Industrial plant shutdown maintenance projects often require a fresh coat of paint. The 3M™ Industrial Painter's Tape, 205 series is a low tack/adhesion tape for delicate surfaces, ideal for painted walls and trim, woodwork, glass, and metal.
Need help with your industrial plant shutdown maintenance project? Or, want to learn more about industrial preventative maintenance solutions?
About the AuthorMore From Mario DeAgazio