But as buildings become more complex and construction schedules get tighter, the science behind firestop technologies must evolve.
We had noticed a time crushing frustration when using elastomeric sealants, especially when it came to construction joints and through-penetration applications. Elastomeric sealants created too much mess. There needed to be a more efficient and easier solution.
By leveraging 3M adhesive technology, we were able to develop a firestop tape – virtually eliminating the need for cementitious fire spray systems in those tough-to-reach, but critical spaces for fire protection in buildings.
Four ways tape can help improve fire safety for buildings.
Leveraging patent-pending 3M technology, the new 3M™ Fire and Water Barrier Tape and 3M™ Smoke and Sound Barrier Tape are 3M’s mess-free solutions to help provide fire, water, smoke, and sound protection – all in the convenient form of tape.
- Speed: 3M™ Fire and Water Barrier Tape and 3M™ Smoke and Sound Barrier Tape are fast, efficient, and portable. You don’t need to haul heavy pallets of spray, caulk, caulk guns and sprayers – just lightweight rolls of tape.
- Strength: Weather-related delays are a very real concern on construction sites. 3M™ Fire and Water Barrier Tape and 3M™ Smoke and Sound Barrier Tape can be used in extreme weather conditions – in temperatures as low as -18°C (0°F) and as high as 49°C (120°F) . All you need to do is remove frost and debris before applying the firestop tape.
- Flexibility: 3M™ Fire and Water Barrier Tape and 3M™ Smoke and Sound Barrier Tape are flexible tapes that can be applied around pipe openings, which is a lot easier than elastomeric sealants.
- Code compliant: You don’t need to worry about code compliance with these new 3M firestop technologies.
- 3M™ Fire and Water Barrier Tape is compliant with CAN/ULC-S115 Standard Method of Fire Tests of Firestop Systems for construction joints and some through-penetration applications – including US equivalents ASTM E1966 Fire-Resistive Joint Systems and UL 2079 Tests for Fire Resistance of Building Joint Systems, ASTM E814 Penetration Firestop Systems and UL 1479 Fire Tests of Through-Penetration Firestops and ASTM E2307 Fire Resistance of Perimeter Fire Barriers.
- 3M™ Smoke and Sound Barrier Tape has been tested to ASTM E90 Airborne Sound Transmission Loss of Building Partitions and Elements, ASTM E84 Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials and CAN/ULC-S102 Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials and Assemblies and ASTM E413 Classification for Rating Sound Insulation.
Is this 3M firestop technology right for your project?
About the Author
[enBio=Bethany works both in the field and in the lab to support customers in the fire and construction sectors. Every day she applies her technical expertise to develop novel solutions that help companies overcome their pain points and advance their businesses. Bethany is a recognized expert in her industry, and has been published multiple times.],[enJob=Application Development Engineer, Industrial Business Group,3M Canada],[frBio=Mme Turowec travaille sur le terrain et en laboratoire au service des clients des secteurs de la lutte contre l’incendie et de la construction. Elle met quotidiennement à profit son expertise technique pour trouver des solutions originales qui aident les entreprises à éliminer leurs sources d’irritation et à faire progresser leurs activités. Elle est une experte reconnue dans son domaine et a plusieurs publications à son actif.],[frJob=Ingénieure en développement d’applications, Secteur Industrie, Compagnie 3M Canada]More From Bethany Turowec